Wow. I'm super humbled to have finally received the vExpert Award for 2021. This is a first for me, that's what I get for being a bit extra! 😛
Pretty awesome to know that keeping this blog active, participating in my local VMUG and contributing to the overall community lead to being a part of this exclusive group.
That's awesome...but what is a vExpert anyway?
A VMware vExpert is an award granted to specific individuals who have contributed to the overall VMware community. Basically, you'll have to be a bit of a VMware evangelist and promote the company using various methods like, blogging, engaging in social media, writing books, public speaking events, etc.
Also, being awarded a vExpert is not a certification nor does it matter about how experienced you are with any particular VMware product. Individuals are selected based on the engagement with the community on VMware topics and leverage any platform to get the message across.
As a vExpert, there are a list of program benefits that will be available to those selected.
- Network with over 2,000 other vExperts
- Opportunity to apply for 8 Official VMware Business Unit lead vExpert sub programs.
- Invite to our private vExpert #Slack channel
- Opportunity to apply for 10 product BU led vExpert sub-programs
- vExpert certificate signed by our VMware CEO
- Permission to use the vExpert logo on cards, website, etc. for one year
- Exclusive gifts from various VMware partners
- Private webinars with VMware partners as well as NFRs
- Access to private betas (subject to admission by beta teams)
- 365-day eval licenses for most products for home lab / cloud providers
- Private pre-launch briefings via our blogger briefing pre-VMworld (subject to admission by product teams)
- Featured in a public vExpert online directory
- Access to vetted VMware & Virtualization content for your social channels
- Yearly vExpert parties at both VMworld US and VMworld Europe events
- Identification as a vExpert at both VMworld US and VMworld EU
That's pretty sweet! How can I become a vExpert?
Glad you asked. Essentially you'll have to do what I've already outlined in this post. Once you've contributed and found your platform of engagement, you'll simply need to create an account and apply here. Right now, applications are closed, but on the homepage there is a notification option to be notified when applications open again.
I know other companies have similar programs such as:
It's just cool to be part of this small network of similar minded individuals.
If you are already very VMware centric at your employer, then join your local VMUG, start a blog or even TikTok. A little bit here and there goes a long way. 🙂